New Mexico Museum of Art
The New Mexico Museum of Art houses more than 20,000 works of American and European art, including paintings, prints, drawings, sculpture, photographs, new media, and conceptual works. The focus of the collection is on American art, with an emphasis on artists working in the Southwest.
The museum is known for its extensive collections of the Taos Society of Artists and Los Cinco Pintores, the five painters who moved to Santa Fe in the 1920s and helped establish the community as a famous art colony. The museum also features an important collection of Georgia O’Keeffe paintings; works by the great woodblock printmaker and painter Gustave Baumann; and American photographers, including the Jane Reese Williams Collection of women photographers.
The New Mexico Museum of Art is the oldest art museum in the state. Built in 1917, the structure itself is a work of art, considered a masterpiece of Pueblo Revival architecture and the best representation of the synthesis of Native American and Spanish Colonial design styles.
New Mexico CulturePass
Your ticket to 15 exceptional Museums and Historic Sites. From Indian treasures to space exploration, world-class folk art to awesome dinosaurs—our museums and monuments celebrate the essence of New Mexico every day.
More Info »
Featured DCA Exhibitions
The process of extracting dinosaur fossils from the rock matrix that has encased them for millions of years is featured in the FossilWorks exhibit at the Museum.
The Museum's first permanent exhibit takes visitors on an odyssey through 150 generations over 4,000 years of agriculture in New Mexico.
This exhibition traces Flamenco from its beginnings as a folkloric art form among the Gypsy people of southern Spain to its rise as an international art form enjoyed by millions. The exhibition features costumes, play bills, instruments, and paintings, complemented by lectures, workshops and performances.
During 2007 and 2008, flying at alarmingly low altitudes and slow speeds,photographer Adriel Heisey leaned out the door of his light plane, and holding his camera with both hands, re-photographed some of the Southwest’s most significant archaeological sites that Charles Lindbergh and his new bride Anne photographed in 1929.